There seems to be a glut of figs in the supermarkets and they are very inexpensive so here's a simple but very tasty dessert with figs.
- 8 figs , halved
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 star anise
- shortbread fingers, to serve
For the ginger mascarpone:
- 1 ball stem ginger , very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger syrup from the jar
- ½ a 250g tub mascarpone
- Heat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Lay the figs in an ovenproof roasting dish, dot over the butter and drizzle with honey.
- Sprinkle over the sugar and cinnamon, then pour over the orange juice and mix lightly.
- Nestle the star anise among the figs and roast for 15-20 minutes.
- When ready to serve, mix the ginger and syrup through the mascarpone.
- Place 4 fig halves, drizzled with syrup, on a plate with a dollop of mascarpone and some shortbread fingers (I didn't bother with the shortbread).