I'm currently studying for a Diploma of Professional Interior Design through the National Design Academy. This will give me a formal qualification to work as an interior designer.
The diploma is awarded by AIM Awards is recognisable throughout the European Union, and is in partnership with Staffordshire University.
With 10 units and associated assignments, it's a comprehensive course. I have completed the first 4 units to date.
- Unit 1 - Interior Design in Context
- Unit 2 - Design Inspiration and Role of the Interior Designer
- Unit 3 - Colour for Interior Design
- Unit 4 - Drawing Plans and Elevations for Interior Design
- Unit 5 - Space Planning
- Unit 6 - Soft Furnishings for Interior Design
- Unit 7 - Wall and Floor Finishes
- Unit 8 - Furniture Styles and Accessories
- Unit 9 - Creative Lighting
- Unit 10 - Professional Practice for Interior Design
I work full-time so have to work on the diploma in the evenings and weekends. It's pretty intense at times but very rewarding as interior design is something I'm very passionate about — as you are probably aware from following my blog.