I made this cake yesterday to use up some very ripe bananas. It is a yummy cake and I particularly like the crunchy walnut and cinnamon topping which adds a different texture.
- 125g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup water
- 50g softened butter
- 2 tbsp self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbps chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Lightly grease a 23cm square tin and line the base with non-stick baking paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana and vanilla extract and beat well.
- Sift flour and bicarbonate of soda and add to creamed mixture with the water.
- Pour into prepared tin.
- To make topping, rub butter into flour, add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Place topping over cake mixture and bake for 40-45 minutes.