This recipe is a staple of mine and it is always a huge hit with guests. It's great for parties as you can marinate the lamb in larger quantities.
- Half a leg of lamb boned (about 1kg)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped
- 250ml natural yoghurt
- 2 red chillies, seeded
- Small bunch of coriander, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tbsp ground cardamom
- ½ tbsp ground cloves
- ½ turmeric
- Small bunch of rosemary
- Tenderise the lamb by rubbing it with the lemon juice, 1 tbsp salt and the thyme leaves. Leave for an hour.
- Whizz the yoghurt with the rest of the ingredients (except the rosemary) in a food processor to make the marinade. Rub the marinade all over the lamb and leave to marinate for 2-3 hours and preferably overnight.
- Heat the oven to 230C/fan 210C/gas 8. Put the lamb on a rack over a bed of rosemary in a roasting tin and cook for 35-40 minutes for medium. Leave to rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving with flat bread and tzatziki.