This is a very quick and easy-to-prepare houmous made with frozen peas. It is best eaten fresh and, unlike real houmous, it freezes very well. If anything, this houmous recipe is more versatile — try it with crispy fried onions as a jacket potato filling.
- 500g / 1lb 2oz frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons tahina
- Juice of 1-2 lemons
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 level teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, washed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch cayenne
- Bring the peas to the boil in a pan of water and cook for around 5 minutes, then drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Pop them in the blender with the tahina, lemon, oil, garlic, cumin and parsley. Give it all a quick whizz — it will probably be far too stiff so add about 2 tablespoons of cold water to loosen it up.
- Season it to taste and serve in a bowl with the olive oil and cayenne drizzled/sprinkled on top. Serve with toasted pita bread.