This is called a pudding but it could just as well be a cake. I made this last night as a dessert for the first time and it was divine.
- 2 lemons
- 115g butter, softened; plus extra for greasing
- 115g caster sugar; plus 1 tbsp for sprinkling
- 3 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 40g self-raising flour
- 100g ground almonds
- ½- 1 tsp almond extract (according to taste)
- 300g fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/mark 6. Lightly grease a 20cm non-stick cake tin. Line the base with baking paper then lightly grease.
- Finely grate the skin of the two lemons and place the zest in a large mixing bowl with the butter and sugar. Beat until pale and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs a little at a time. Beat in the flour followed by the ground almonds, before stirring in the almond essence and 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Spoon into the buttered cake tin. Lightly level the surface.
- Scatter the fresh raspberries over the top and press into the mixture. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp caster sugar and immediately place in the centre of the oven and bake for 30 minutes (or until skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. It can take up to 45 minutes).
- Leave in the tin for a few minutes and then carefully remove and place on a rack to cool.