Hi Everyone, here's a fantastic cake recipe from a recent weekend newspaper's magazine - simple to make and it has no dairy or gluten so very healthy. However that doesn't compromise the flavour because it is absolutely gorgeous and the cake will last for a week as it has a syrup drizzled over it.
Pistachio and Pink Grapefruit Cake
It makes a 20cm cake
150g shelled unsalted pistachios
1 and a half pink grapefurits
200g golden caster sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
Pinch of salt
200g extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons honey (I use Australian Orange Blossom honey)
10g shelled salted pistachios (about 20) roughly chopped to decorate
1. Grease a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin and line the base of it
2. Whizz the unsalted pistachios in a food processor until fairly finely ground.
3. Finely grate the zest of the grapefruits (I actually grate 2 grapefruits) and add this and the sugart to the processor, whizz briefly to combine then stir in the polenta, baking powder, cardamom and a pinch of salt
4. Whisk together the eggs and oil and stir these into the dry ingredients. Scrape into the tin
5. Put in to the oven and turn it to 180C (200C non-fan) - you don't need to preheat the oven for this cake!! Bake for 40-50 minutes, until set on the top.
6. Towards the end of the cooking time, juice the half grapefruit and heat this together with the honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and take off the heat. Put the cake, still in its tin, on a plate with a rim and pour over the syrup, a little at a time, adding more once each lot has been absorbed. Leave to cool, then turn out and sprinkle with the chopped salted pistachios.
It is delicious served with half fat creme fraiche and even as a dessert.